Friday, June 12, 2009

The Familiar Stranger

The Familiar Stranger
*****************************
I met a stranger recently,
his presence...
hard to ignore
I recognized this stranger,
as if we'd met before.
I recognized his features:
his face, his form,
and even the way he wore his hair.
Yet, as to our specific meeting,
I recalled not when or where!

So I decided I'd been mistaken,
or our acquaintance was long ago.
Also concluding,
surely this individual
was too unimportant
Even for me to ever know.

He appeared again late
and it really bothered
that this seemingly trivial person
was once ever known to me!?
Who was this person
whose image within my mind
was embedded so very deep?
Who was this individual
constantly haunting my waking hours,
and so often times... My sleep!

My Answer?
I decided that if we had met before,
acknowledging ambitions and obligations
was the far more important chore.
So finally, I told him,
"Look later I'll deal with you.
Right now I have more important people to patronize,
and far more important things to do!"
So we he continued to bother me,
I had not the slightest clue

Then, after his appearances persisted
over a period of...
well, some great length,
I suddenly recognized... his enviable characteristics
of serenity, confidence, and deep inner-strength.

It was only then
that this familiar stranger
chose to reveal himself to me.
Stating: Aren’t you yet aware?
I am no stranger that you see.
Rather, I am...
what we now know as
that self-neglected part of...
ME."

Keith H. seymour is a freelance Writer, poet and media consultant, currently living in Columbia, S.C. He is available for poetry readings, tutoring, speaking engagements at schools, and consultations with fellow writers and artists. He may be reached at 803-960-8785 or keithhseymour@bellsouth.net

No comments:

Post a Comment